As it is well-known, Blackjack offers some of the best odds among the casino games. As per statistics, Blackjack in its classic version, offers the players the best chances to win, only to those who possess excellent mathematical skills and are able to calculate the probability of a particular card.
The only way to maintain the lowest possible house edge on Blackjack is to use the Blackjack strategy every time you play. By doing so, you maximise your expectation and minimise the casino’s expectation. Blackjack Basic strategy is the mathematically perfect play in every possible blackjack situation.
Blackjack Basic Strategy for Better Odds
The basic Blackjack strategy charts provided by many websites and Blackjack strategy books help visual learners memorise the correct strategy. The Blackjack strategy decisions could be influenced by the conditions and house rules that necessitate the learning of a basic strategy.
A major way of getting the best odds in Blackjack is to make an intelligent choice about which Blackjack games to play. The variations in Blackjack rules can actually improve the player’s odds.
The Blackjack Basic Strategy can be summarised in the following steps.
- When an Ace is dealt, the best way to go is to hit so that you can get a new card and increase the total of your hand.
- At the point where the dealer is showing a high card like a 7 or more then it is best to take a hit if your hand is less than 17. This is a bit risky but somewhat worth it because there’s a big chance the hole card (dealers’ faced down card) has a high value too.
- Always split when you have two aces.
- You can double down if your card total is larger than 10 and the dealer’s hand is less than that.
- When you have a hand value higher than 9 and the dealer’s is lower, it is wise to stand. If you hit, there is a risk that you will get busted. Instead, let the dealer deal more cards for himself and hope he gets busted.
- When you have a soft ace, you can double down and if that’s not allowed, you hit.
- Never purchase insurance unless you’re sure that most of the naturals and aces have been dealt with already. This means that you’re already doing some card counting.
Take a note of the House Edge
House edge which is a percentage worked out for all casino games, is 2-3%, for the Blackjack game when the players are not making use of a strategy. However, by using some strategies, it is possible to reduce this.
Play at Blackjack Tables with less number of Decks
A casino gains a slight edge over the players with each added deck. Therefore, choose the tables that have fewer decks. Besides this, in order to make your job easier, know how to use a basic card counting strategy. Winning at Blackjack is all about the numbers, and the more they are in your favour, the better for you if you are trying to earn higher payouts.
Avoid side bets
Side bets look exciting because for a nominal amount you could possibly win a huge jackpot worth hundreds or even thousands of dollars. The problem is that the odds against winning can be anywhere from 2-40%.
Manage the Bankroll
Among all the tips that are advisable for Blackjack players is knowing how to manage the bankroll. It is wise on the players’ part to decide on a maximum amount they would be comfortable spending before starting any game. After reaching that limit, players should quit playing and not spend more in the hope of clawing back the losses. Additionally, never ever bet money you can’t afford to lose.
Avoid taking Insurance
Insurance is always a bad bet from the point of mathematics. A dealer has a 3 in 13 chance of getting a Blackjack with the Ace, (a 30.8% chance). An insurance bet gives the players a potential payout of 2:1, which means the players will lose overall. Insurance is only recommendable for players who are experienced in card counting and at that time when they have got a good idea of what might be in the deck.
SummaryName: Ways to Enhance your Odds in Blackjack
Author: Helen Stratford
Published Date: 04/06/2019